Corrosion and rust are costly to the American public, its industries, and infrastructure. Annually, it causes hundreds of billions of dollars in direct and indirect damages. In order to prevent further destruction and reduce the rising economic costs, it is important to ensure all such items receive an anti corrosion coating. This will reduce the potential risk of damages to everything from automobiles to water mains and pipelines.
Coatings are available from different sources and companies. Researchers are continually improving protection by introducing new variations and/or enhanced existing coatings. The coatings reflect advances in technology and recognition of the issues unprotected materials can face when placed in a potentially corrosive environment. While such processes as electroplating and diffusion coating are available, polymer coatings are another very viable and affordable option.
Polymer Ant Rust Coating
Various polymers provide excellent anti corrosion protection. Standard examples include:
* Acrylic Coatings: These water-based, polymers are environmentally-friendly
* Bitumen-Based Coatings: While possessing a high degree of water resistance, they are not effective against solvents.
* Epoxy: This is available in different types including
* Amine Epoxy
* Fusion-Bonded Epoxy
* Coal Tar Epoxy: This moisture and chemical resistant polymer as well is common for immersion applications
* Multi-Layer Epoxy: Among the most popular epoxy coatings in the United States as well as Europe for pipelines, with strong adhesion
* Polyamide Epoxy
* Ethylene-chlorotrifluoroethylene (ECTFE): A popular copolymer material for use in automotive and aerospace industries for protecting cables and wires
Each of these polymers possesses the ability to protect the material from rust and corrosion.
Anti Corrosion Coating
Corrosion, whether it results from chemical, moisture or oxidation processes, creates a costly problem for many industrial concerns. One way to reduce the expense of such elemental and/chemical complications is to provide susceptible components with an anti corrosion coating. While the market makes available several different types, a polymer-based coating can provide effective and affordable protection.