The feet are the shock absorbers of the body. They are consistently at risk from uneven terrain, poorly fitting shoes and bodies that put too much strain on them. Injuries are a frequent problem seen by the Ankle Specialists in Racine WI as well as degenerative diseases that cause pain and reduce movement in the ankle. Despite ankles being one of the strongest joints in the body they are not always able to withstand all of the abuse they experience.
Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and frequent sprains and strains will weaken ankles, lead to stiffness and cause discomfort. The risk of arthritis increases with every injury an ankle receives, so it is important to prevent injury as much as possible. When ankles are sensitive and weak, they are more susceptible to re-injury. Someone walking incorrectly to favor a tired or sore ankle could experience additional discomfort or cause injury to their other foot. Ankle Specialists in Racine WI have many methods of treatment for weak ankles that reduce discomfort and prevent future injuries.
- Physical therapy trains patients how to step and stand properly on their foot and builds strength in the ankle.
- Anti-inflammatory medications help to prevent swelling that limits ankle movement.
- Shoe inserts may help to reduce pressure or keep the foot better aligned and eliminate pain.
- Adding a foot brace may strengthen a weak ankle and allow it to have more time to heal.
- Arthroscopic surgery relieves pain by removing inflamed tissue. It is an option that is used when non-invasive treatment methods fail to help.
- Steroid or hyaluronic acid injections may help to reduce swelling and pain as well as lubricate the joint for more comfortable mobility.
Previous injuries, current daily activities and health histories all help to determine the type of care needed to stop chronic pain. The proper treatment method for current injuries depends on the severity and type of injury. These steps require an in-depth exam first in order to find the source of the pain or the cause of frequent re-injuries. At Great Lakes Foot & Ankle Centers, they offer a large variety of podiatry treatments that can help to reduce pain and mobility restriction. Contact them for more information.
Be the first to like.